Albanian bakllava recipe
Albanian bakllava is a dessert made for many types of celebrations.
Albanian bakllava is made of thin dough, syrup, and chopped walnuts. Although of Turkish origin, it is one of the most traditional and well-loved sweets in Albania.
Ingredients for Albanian bakllava leaves and filling
- 4 1/4 cups of flour
- 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups of warm water
- 4 1/4 cup of sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of corn starch
- 4 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
Ingredients for Albanian bakllava syrup
- 4 1/4 cups of sugar
- 6 1/3 cups of water
- 1/2 lemon
- 15-20 cloves
Directions to make bakllava
1. Mix the flour, eggs, oil, salt and warm water and stir until smooth. Let it rest for 40 min.
2. Divide the dough into smaller pieces and roll them uniform balls (about 30 balls). Using a rollin pin, roll them out into very thin layers, being careful not to break the dough.
3. Roll out every ball and let it dry completely.
4. Grease a bowl with melted butter and stack the leaves into a round pan, brushing each layer with melted butter.
5. For a single layer of nuts, put 15 layers of leaves down and then add the nuts. After that add the remaining leaves. If you want two layers of nuts, put in 7/8 leaves, then add the nuts. Cover with the remaining 7/8 leaves.
6. Brush the top with the remaining butter. Cut the baklava layers in rhombus-shaped pieces.
7. Place the baklava pan in a hot oven at 150 degrees for about 3 hours. Raise the temperature to 200 degrees for the last 15 minutes.
Remove bakllava from oven and leave to cool.
Directions to make syrup
1. Pour the water into a pot and let it boil.
2. Add sugar and let it boil for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice and stir. Add the cloves.
4. Let the water cool until it reaches 150-170 degrees
Pour in syrup when the bakllava has cooled off. If you can, it’s best to add it the next day.
Allow to rest for several hours until all the liquid has fully absorbed and the taste has developed.