Learn about agriculture and different kinds of agriculture jobs. Read about the different career paths you can take in agriculture. Разберете какво ви обучение нужда и къде да започнете вашето търсене на работа.
Agriculture jobs include all kinds of farm work. Farm workers grow crops, raise animals, and turn farm produce into food. Бежанците, имигранти, and migrants all help to produce the nation’s food.
Maybe you have a farming background and want to work on a farm. Perhaps you would like to train in an agriculture career. Read about different kinds of agriculture jobs and how to get started.
Which agriculture job?
- Small farmer – many small farms produce organic or specialist foods. Starting your own farm in the United States requires a lot of work and investment.
- Farm worker – farm workers on large farms work either with animals or with crops.
- Meat packer – work slaughtering animals and packing meat in a factory-like environment. More likely to offer health insurance than other agricultural jobs. Many meat-packing plants employ refugees.
- Seasonal worker – seasonal workers are often migrants who travel around the United following the crop harvests and planting seasons. They harvest, plant, weed, вода, pack and load these crops. Most seasonal workers are undocumented and working conditions are poor.
- Inner-city projects – there are many volunteer opportunities and some paid positions on city farms and community gardens.
- Farm machinery operator – operators of large equipment on farms need more training and certification, but they are in demand and often better paid than other farm workers.
- Government inspector – agricultural inspectors make sure food crops and animals are raised properly and follow health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Farm manager or agricultural supervisor – managers supervise farm laborers, especially migrant workers who travel from farm to farm.
- Agribusiness – careers in the business side of agriculture, including sales and other support industries, are growing. These jobs offer more management positions.
- Scientists – agricultural science includes soil science and plant genetics.
Are agriculture jobs right for me?
Agriculture is hard physical work. Farm workers and people working with animals need to be strong. Many agricultural jobs also use machinery, so it is a good job for someone who works well with machines. If you want to work outside, agriculture jobs will suit you. But farm work is dangerous, and you need to be alert around machines, chemicals and animals. If you are able to take on responsibilities, then being a farm manager or supervisor may be a good fit for you. Speaking two languages is a great asset for a manager of farm workers.
Къде да започна?
Agriculture jobs are a big part of the economy in California, Тексас, and some mid-western and southern states. The dairy, fruit, vegetable and meat industries always need farm workers. They do not usually ask for experience or a high school education. The farmer or farm manager will train you. But these jobs are not well paid. According to the US Department of Agriculture, more than half of all farm workers are undocumented.
Skills and training
Other agriculture careers may require education and some training. Government jobs, such as agricultural inspector, require citizenship. Id you want to prepare for citizenship, you can take our Безплатни онлайн гражданство клас
Find agricultural classes near you
Community colleges in areas with lots of farms offer classes in agriculture. They offer two-year associate’s degrees. You can get an associate’s degree in animal science, agricultural science or biology. To work in agribusiness, or if you want to start a farm enterprise, you may also need business skills. There are many business courses at community colleges. Намери една общност колеж близо до вас.
Farming programs for New Americans
Many refugees and immigrants come to America with knowledge of farming. Across the USA, you can find programs that support, train or employ refugee farmers. Ето някои от тях:
- Калифорния: New Roots
- Грузия: Global Growers
- Хавай: Kunia Agricultural Incubator
- Айдахо: Global Gardens
- Илинойс: Global Garden Refugee Training Program
- Мейн: The New American Sustainable Agriculture Project (NASAP)
- Ню Йорк: Syracuse Refugee Agricultural Partnership
- Масачузетс: New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
- Мисури: International Institute Global Farms
- Тенеси: Growing Together
- Тексас: Plant it Forward
- Върмонт: New Farms for New Americans
- Вирджиния: New Roots
Watch a video about a refugee farming program in Vermont
Ами ако аз съм вече се класираха в друга страна?
If you have a qualification or a degree from another country, Нагоре глобални помага на работа разрешава имигранти, бежанците, asylees, and visa holders restart their professional careers in the United States.
Какво друго ми трябва?
- Трябва ли да Научете английски?
- Искате ли да станете гражданин?
- Искате ли да Спечелете си GED® диплома?
Започнете вашето търсене на работа
- Use a job center: Government employment centers are free. Те предлагат съвети и поддържа списък на местните работни места. Те помагат с автобиографии и заявления за работа. They can connect you to job training and education. Find your nearest employment center.
- Онлайн търсене: Aghires is a website for that lists agriculture jobs.
Meet Morris Gbolo, owner of World Crops Farm in New Jersey
В 2002, Morris Gbolo moved to southern New Jersey as a refugee from Liberia. Днес, he is back doing what he loves – farming his favorite vegetable crops from his native land.
Започнете вашето търсене на работа
Научете как да намерят работа и да направи голям Резюме.Намерете работа помощ сега