Filipino lumpiang Shanghai recipe
Lumpiang Shanghai (or lumpia for short) are filled with pork, fried and served with sweet-and-sour sauce.
The name “lumpiang Shanghai” hints at the Chinese origin of lumpia, which first traveled to the Philippines with ninth-century Chinese traders. It is also commonly found in Indonesia. Lumpia come in all shapes, sizes, wrappers, and fillings.
The filling can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. This recipe makes 20 lumpia.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup green onion( scallions ) chopped
- 1 can ( 8 oz ) water chestnut, drained and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and finely hopped
- 1/2 lbs or 10-15 shrimps peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of celery heart chopped
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp kosher/reg salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 20 pieces of spring roll wrappers
1. In a big bowl mix ground pork, scallions, water chestnuts, carrots, shrimp, celery, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, egg, and sesame oil.
2. Cook a tsp of the mixture in a pan with regular oil to taste. Add seasoning as needed.
3. To roll the lumpia, separate the wrapper and cover briefly with a damp paper towel to prevent from drying out.
5. Place the egg roll wrapper on a flat working surface.
6. Spoon about a heaping tbsp of meat mixture on the lower end of the wrapper closest to you.
7. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly into a thin log about 1/2 inch thick. Make sure the filling is nicely packed with no air pockets.
8. Wet the remaining edge of the wrapper with beaten egg or a paste (1 tsp cornstarch in 1 cup of water, microwave for 30 seconds ) to completely seal. Repeat using all of the filling.
10. In a pan, over medium heat (about 350 degrees F) heat about 2 inches deep of oil. Add lumpia in batches and cook turning from side to side until golden brown and crisp – about 3-4 minutes.
11. To keep your lumpiang Shanghai crispy, drain on a wire rack. Do not cover and do not reheat in the microwave. It is best to use an oven to reheat.
12. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce with ketchup.