Adult education – how to go back to school
Do you want to finish your education? Train for a new job or improve your skills? Go to university or learn English? Find out how you can get an adult education online or in your community.
Other names for adult education are continuing education, higher education, and lifelong learning. All of these terms are about the ways adults can learn. Learn more about different kinds of adult education.
Basic adult education – reading and writing
Even as an adult, you can learn to read and write. It is easier to learn with a class or a tutor (one-to-one teachers). There are many places adults can go for reading and writing lessons. Many community colleges and libraries have adult education centers that teach reading and writing.
Many communities have English classes in the day or evening. You will find them at libraries, community centers, and at adult education centers in colleges. You can find a community college near you. If is hard for you to get to a class, start learning English online. There are several free classes to help you learn.
High school diplomas for adults
In the USA, adults can get a GED®, HiSET or TASC diploma to replace a high school education. You will have to study for the tests, but it is much quicker than high school. There are day or evening classes at your local college or library. Or you can take our free online GED® preparation class in many languages.
Job training and job skills
When you look for a job, you may need basic job skills. You may need to learn how to use a computer. Or maybe you want to train for a specific job, such as a job in the food industry. You can find all kinds of job training at job centers, resettlement agencies, community colleges, and local organizations. Learn how to find job training progams and get skills for work.
Higher education means education after high school. Higher education can happen in a college or university or online.
- Community colleges in the USA offer two-year courses of all kinds. Many of them prepare you for a career. Find a community college near you.
- Universities offer four-year or longer courses. If you graduate from university, you can apply for jobs that require a degree. Find out how to apply for college.
- You can also take higher education classes online. Find online courses and degrees with Coursera.
- Find job training progams
- Scholarships for immigrants and refugees
- Find adult education near you with FindHello
Find help near you
Use FindHello to search for services and resources in your city.Start your search