How much is the fee?
The United States citizenship application fee has two parts. A filing fee to process your Form N-400 and a service fee for your biometrics appointment.
|N-400 filing fee||$640|
The total naturalization fee is expected to go up in 2024.
Some people do not have to pay all of the fees:
- Military members do not have to pay the filing and biometric service fees.
- Seniors 75 or older do not have to pay the $85 biometric service fee. They still pay the $640 filing fee.
How do I pay the fee?
You can pay online or by mail. You must pay the fee at the same time you file Form N-400.
If you file your form online, you will be guided through the process of paying your fees with a credit, debit, or pre-paid card. Bank account withdrawals are also available when paying online. Once you are ready to submit your form, the system will send you to pay.gov to pay your fees online.
Pay by mail
If you mail your form to your local USCIS Lockbox, you can include your check, money order, or Form-G-1450 for a credit card payment. Make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Do not send cash.
Tips for making payments to USCIS:
- Make sure to pay the correct fee. USCIS will reject your application if you pay the wrong fee.
- You can use the USCIS Fee Calculator if you are also filing other forms. Use one payment method.
- Don’t give a credit card that could be declined. If it is declined, USCIS will reject your application.
Is the fee refundable?
No. The application and biometric service fees are not refundable. You will not get your money back if your citizenship application is denied.
What if I can’t afford to pay the fee?
You can apply for a fee waiver or a reduced fee with USCIS if you cannot pay the fees. You must file your citizenship application by mail to apply for one. You can not do it online.
You do not have to pay any of the application and biometric fees.
Total cost $0
You will pay a lower application fee of $320 and $85 for the biometrics fee.
Total cost: $405
The New Americans Campaign’s calculator can help you learn if you can apply for a fee waiver or reduced fee. It is figured out based on your household size and household income.
Household size includes you, the head of household, your spouse, children under 21, legal wards, children 21-23 in school, children over 21 with certain disabilities, your parents, and any other dependents you list on your federal tax return. Other relatives not listed or roommates do not count towards household size.
Household income is the total amount of money everyone in your household size earned in one year.
Who can apply for a fee waiver?
You must meet one of the following requirements to ask for a fee waiver:
- You, your spouse, or the head of household are receiving a public benefit. Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, and SSI are public benefits that can be considered for this.
- You are having a hard time making payments because of things like unexpected medical bills or emergencies.
- Your annual household income is at or below the 150% Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing.
|Household Size||Income below|
|Add $7,080 for each additional person|
How can I apply for a fee waiver?
To ask for a fee waiver you can either:
- Fill out and submit Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver.
- Write a letter explaining why you are unable to pay the fees. You must submit all documents requested in the form instructions. These include proof of your household income and public benefits.
Who can apply for a reduced fee?
Your annual household income must be more than 150% but no more than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing.
|Household size||More than income of||Less than income of|
|Add $7,080 for each additional person||Add $9440 for each additional person|
How can I apply for a reduced fee?
You can ask for a reduced fee by filing Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee.
|Make sure to read the form instructions and include all requested documents. Include your request for a waiver with your citizenship application. Be sure to sign the form.|
Are there other ways to get help paying the fee?
- The New Americans Campaign lists non-profit organizations that can help you complete your application over the phone or in person.
- The Mission Asset Fund offers a 0 interest loan to help you pay for your citizenship application fee.
- A number of credit unions offer 0 or low-interest citizenship loans. Contact your local credit union for financial help.
- Ask your local non-profit if they offer financial help.
Узнайте, как найти юридическую помощь. Существуют юристы или организации, которые предлагают бесплатную или недорогую помощь. Иммиграционный адвокат может помочь вам в вашем случае с подачей документов на получение убежища или гражданства. Они могут увеличить ваши шансы.
Next: Learn what to expect at the naturalization interview and test
The information on this page comes from trusted sources, including USCIS.gov. We aim to offer information in plain language that is easy to understand and updated regularly. This page is for guidance. USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.