Learn about agriculture and different kinds of agriculture jobs. Read about the different career paths you can take in agriculture. 了解您需要哪些培训以及从何处开始求职.
Agriculture jobs include all kinds of farm work. Farm workers grow crops, raise animals, and turn farm produce into food. 难民, 移民, and migrants all help to produce the nation’s food.
Maybe you have a farming background and want to work on a farm. Perhaps you would like to train in an agriculture career. Read about different kinds of agriculture jobs and how to get started.
Which agriculture job?
- Small farmer – many small farms produce organic or specialist foods. Starting your own farm in the United States requires a lot of work and investment.
- Farm worker – farm workers on large farms work either with animals or with crops.
- Meat packer – work slaughtering animals and packing meat in a factory-like environment. More likely to offer health insurance than other agricultural jobs. Many meat-packing plants employ refugees.
- Seasonal worker – seasonal workers are often migrants who travel around the United following the crop harvests and planting seasons. They harvest, plant, weed, 水, pack and load these crops. Most seasonal workers are undocumented and working conditions are poor.
- Inner-city projects – there are many volunteer opportunities and some paid positions on city farms and community gardens.
- Farm machinery operator – operators of large equipment on farms need more training and certification, but they are in demand and often better paid than other farm workers.
- Government inspector – agricultural inspectors make sure food crops and animals are raised properly and follow health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Farm manager or agricultural supervisor – managers supervise farm laborers, especially migrant workers who travel from farm to farm.
- Agribusiness – careers in the business side of agriculture, including sales and other support industries, are growing. These jobs offer more management positions.
- Scientists – agricultural science includes soil science and plant genetics.
Are agriculture jobs right for me?
Agriculture is hard physical work. Farm workers and people working with animals need to be strong. Many agricultural jobs also use machinery, so it is a good job for someone who works well with machines. If you want to work outside, agriculture jobs will suit you. But farm work is dangerous, and you need to be alert around machines, chemicals and animals. If you are able to take on responsibilities, then being a farm manager or supervisor may be a good fit for you. Speaking two languages is a great asset for a manager of farm workers.
Agriculture jobs are a big part of the economy in California, 德克萨斯州, and some mid-western and southern states. The dairy, 水果, vegetable and meat industries always need farm workers. They do not usually ask for experience or a high school education. The farmer or farm manager will train you. But these jobs are not well paid. According to the US Department of Agriculture, more than half of all farm workers are undocumented.
Skills and training
Other agriculture careers may require education and some training. Government jobs, such as agricultural inspector, require citizenship. Id you want to prepare for citizenship, you can take our 免费在线公民班
Find agricultural classes near you
Community colleges in areas with lots of farms offer classes in agriculture. They offer two-year associate’s degrees. You can get an associate’s degree in animal science, agricultural science or biology. To work in agribusiness, or if you want to start a farm enterprise, you may also need business skills. There are many business courses at community colleges. 在你附近找一所社区学院.
Farming programs for New Americans
Many refugees and immigrants come to America with knowledge of farming. Across the USA, you can find programs that support, train or employ refugee farmers. 下面是其中的一些:
- 加利福尼亚州: 新根
- 格鲁吉亚: Global Growers
- 夏威夷: Kunia Agricultural Incubator
- 爱达荷州: Global Gardens
- 伊利诺伊州: Global Garden Refugee Training Program
- 缅因州: The New American Sustainable Agriculture Project (NASAP)
- 纽约: Syracuse Refugee Agricultural Partnership
- 马萨诸塞州: New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
- 密苏里州: International Institute Global Farms
- 田纳西州: Growing Together
- 德克萨斯州: Plant it Forward
- 佛蒙特州: New Farms for New Americans
- 弗吉尼亚州: 新根
Watch a video about a refugee farming program in Vermont
If you have a qualification or a degree from another country, 向上全球 帮助工作授权的移民, 难民, 庇护, 签证持有人重新开始他们在美国的职业生涯.
- Use a job center: 政府就业中心免费. 他们提供建议并保留一份本地工作清单。. 他们帮助简历和求职申请. 他们可以把你与职业培训和教育联系起来. 查找离您最近的就业中心.
- 在线搜索: Aghires is a website for that lists agriculture jobs.
Meet Morris Gbolo, owner of World Crops Farm in New Jersey
在 2002, Morris Gbolo moved to southern New Jersey as a refugee from Liberia. 今天, he is back doing what he loves – farming his favorite vegetable crops from his native land.