了解公共行政工作和各类非营利性公共服务工作. 阅读您在公共行政中可以采取的不同职业道路. 了解您需要哪些培训以及从何处开始求职.
Learn about public administration jobs and different kinds of non-profit and public service work. Read about the different career paths you can take in public administration. Find out what training you need and where to start your job search.
公共行政工作是为公众服务的工作. 在很多这些工作, 你将为政府工作--这可能是当地的, 状态, 或联邦 (国家) 政府. 或者你可以为一个非营利组织工作. 这可能是任何事情, 从帮助人们找到住房, 到为慈善机构筹款.
Public administration jobs are jobs that serve the public. In many of these jobs, you will be working for the government – this could be local, state, or federal (national) government. Or you could work for a non-profit organization. This could be anything from helping people find housing to fundraising for a charity.
公共行政工作和他们提供的服务往往处理解决问题. 问题是生活的一部分, 总是有一个需求的人谁愿意解决这些问题. 如果你喜欢挑战, 这是一个令人兴奋的领域进入. 政府和公共行政部门的工作是一个你可以帮助人们和你的社区的地方.
Public administration jobs and the services they provide often deal with solving problems. Problems are part of life, and there is always a demand for people who are willing to tackle these problems. If you like challenges, this is an exciting field to get into. A job in government and public administration is a place where you can help people and your community.
Which public administration job?
Public administration jobs can follow many different paths:
- 教育管理者 • 教育是政府服务的重要组成部分. 管理学校和学院这一领域的专业人员.
- 执行董事 -一个非营利组织的倡导者的主任, 筹钱, 召开会议并将职责分配给工作人员. 学习 如何成为非营利性执行董事.
- 公共行政顾问 -顾问就制定政策等问题向政府机构和非营利组织提供咨询, 会议预算, 以及如何组织好.
- 市长 • 市长为他们的城市和社区大声疾呼, 与市议会合作, 并制定解决社区问题的计划. 市长是民选官员.
- 项目助理– 项目助理帮助组织项目并支持项目主任 - 这是其他非营利性工作的良好垫脚石. 学习 如何成为程序助理.
- 案例经理 • 案例经理帮助人们处理其特定情况, 如金融, 法律, 医疗, 工作, 或住房问题. 需要双语技能, 所以这将是一个很好的职业生涯为难民和移民.
- 项目分析师 • 计划分析人员通过评估和分析计划来改进计划, 想办法让它们更有效. 这是很有价值的专业知识, 因为政府和非营利组织的许多项目都可以在外部帮助下得到改善.
- 笔译和口译 • 口译员使用口语和对话, 和翻译工作与书面文字. 同一个人可以同时做这两项工作. 这些都是难民和移民的好工作. 学习 如何成为翻译或口译员.
- 住房专家 • 从事这些职业的人负责帮助家庭找到负担得起的住房. 由于难民和移民对经济适用房的需求正在增加, 这将是一个伟大的职业生涯来调查.
- 研究助理 • 如果您有兴趣进行研究和面试, 和制作材料和报告, 这对你来说是个很好的职业.
- Education administrator – education is a big part of government services. Professionals in this area of manage schools and colleges.
- Executive director – a director of a non-profit organization advocates for the organization, raises money, holds meetings and assign duties to the staff. Learn how to be a nonprofit executive director.
- Public administration consultant – consultants advise government agencies and non-profits on issues such as making policies, meeting budgets, and how to organize well.
- Mayor – mayors speak up for their cities and communities, work with the city council, and make plans to solve community problems. Mayors are elected officials.
- Program assistant – a program assistant helps organize programs and support the programs director – a good stepping stone to other non-profit jobs. Learn how to be a program assistant.
- Case manager – a case manager helps people with their particular situations, such as financial, legal, medical, work, or housing issues. Bilingual skills are in demand, so this would be an excellent career for refugees and immigrants.
- Program analyst – program analysts improve programs by evaluating and analyzing them, finding ways to make them more effective. This is valuable expertise as many programs in government and non-profits can be improved with outside help.
- Translator and interpreter – interpreters work with spoken words and conversations, and translators work with written words. The same person can do both jobs. These are great jobs for refugees and immigrants. Learn how to be a translator or interpreter.
- Housing specialists – people who work in these careers are responsible for helping families find affordable housing. Since the need for affordable housing is rising for refugees and immigrants, this will be a great career to look into.
- Research associate – if you are interested in conducting researches and interviews, and producing materials and reports, this would be an excellent career for you.
Is public administration the right job for me?
如果你喜欢和公众一起工作, 这对你来说是个很好的职业领域. 沟通在这一领域很重要--你需要良好的写作能力和良好的英语能力.
If you like working with the public, this is a good career field for you. Communication is important in the area – you will need good writing skills and good English skills.
还, 你可以很好地利用你的新资产! 在你帮助移民或与其他国家打交道的任何领域, 你的语言技能和对其他文化的理解都会受到重视.
Also, you can put your newcomer assets to good use! Your language skills and understanding of other cultures will be valued in any field where you are helping immigrants or dealing with other countries.
If you are not sure if this is the right career for you, you can take a self-assessment test at careeronestop.org. You can also watch a video about government and public administration jobs.
Where do I start?
You can get into a public service career in several ways.
Use your experience
由于你以前的工作经验, 你可以进入一些公共行政工作. 人们从许多其他领域进入公共行政: 科学, 营销, 健康, 业务, 和教育. 举个例子, 如果你做过老师, 你可以转到一个行政工作的教育. 如果你在一个小的非营利住房工作, 你可以从一个翻译的职位, 成为一个案例经理, 帮助人们找到住房. 如果你已经是任何工作的公职人员, 这也可以帮助.
You can get into some public administration jobs because of your previous work experience. People enter public administration from many other fields: science, marketing, health, business, and education. For example, if you have worked as a teacher, you could transfer into an administrative job in education. If you work for a small housing non-profit, you may move from an interpreter position into being a case manager who helps people find housing. If you are already a public employee in any job, that can help too.
许多雇主会寻找更具体的证书. 他们可能想要一个拥有公共行政副学位或学士学位的人, 但往往在一个相关的领域的另一个学位会做-社会工作, 管理, 和通信资格都是有用的公共行政生涯. 公共行政硕士 (M p a) 是一个最高的资格的人谁想要在政府工作. 在你的学士学位之外, 通常还需要两年时间.
Many employers will look for more specific credentials. They may want someone with an Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in public administration, but often another degree in a related field will do – social work, management, and communications qualifications are all useful in public administration careers. A Master’s in public administration (MPA) is a top qualification for people who want to work in government. It usually takes another two years on top of your Bachelor’s degree.
注册公共经理 (Cpm) 是一个已经完成了认证培训计划的人. 如果你已经是一名公职人员, 这将是进入行政管理的一种方式. 查找 CPM 课程.
A Certified Public Manager (CPM) is someone who has completed a certified training program. If you already a public employee, this would be a way to get into administration. Find a CPM course.
当你工作和获得作为公职人员或非营利组织的经验时, 可以在网上获得 mpa. 查找具有 MPA 计划的在线学校.
It is possible to get an MPA online while you work and gain experience as a public employee or with a non-profit. Find online schools with MPA Programs.
Find classes near you
许多社区学院提供可以导致公共行政职业的课程. 一个典型的课程将包括公共管理, 决策, 公务员, 预算, 公共组织, 和公共部门行政管理. 在你附近找一所社区学院.
Many community colleges offer courses that can lead to careers in public administration. A typical course will include public management, decision making, civil service, budgeting, public organizations, and public-sector administration. Find a community college near you.
What if I am already qualified in another country?
如果你在另一个国家拥有公共行政学位, 向上全球 帮助工作授权的移民, 难民, 庇护, 和特殊移民签证持有人 (结构性投资工具) 在美国重新开始其职业生涯.
If you have a public administration degree in another country, Upwardly Global helps work-authorized immigrants, refugees, asylees, and special immigrant visa holders (SIVs) restart their professional careers in the USA.
What else do I need?
Start your job search
你想为美国政府工作吗？, 地方政府, 或为一个非营利组织? 下面是一些选项:
Do you want to work for the US government, local government, or for a non-profit organization? Here are some options:
ideris. org 列出非营利组织的工作.
- Search online job websites
Idealist.org lists jobs with non-profit organizations.
在你的州政府找工作, 从他们的官方网站开始. 它将是您的状态的名称, 然后是 “.州长” –例如, 蒙塔阿戈夫. 在主页上, 你会发现一个标签，说的东西，像 职业, 就业, 劳动力 或 工作. 美国政府有一个 网站 政府工作. 通常, 你必须是一个美国公民为联邦政府工作, 但也有例外. 您的语言技能可能是必需的, 举个例子.
- Use government websites
To look for jobs with your state government, start with their official website. It will be the name of your state followed by “.gov” – for example, Montana.gov. On the home page, you will find a tab that says something like careers, employment, workforce or jobs. The US government has a website for government jobs. Usually, you have to be a US citizen to work for the federal government, but there are exceptions. Your language skills may be needed, for example.
- Use your local employment center
Government employment centers in every city are free. They offer advice and keep a list of local jobs. They will include county and city and non-profit jobs. You can also get help there with resumes and job applications. They can connect you to job training and education. Find your nearest employment center.