How much is the citizenship application fee?
The United States citizenship application fee has two parts. A filing fee to process your Form N-400 and a service fee for your biometrics appointment.
N-400 filing fee
Some people do not have to pay all of the fees:
- Military members do not have to pay the filing and biometric service fee.
- Seniors 75 or older do not have to pay the $85 biometric service fee. They still pay the $640 filing fee.
How do I pay the fee?
You can pay online or by mail. You must pay the fee at the same time you file your Form N-400.
If you file your form online, you will be guided through the process of paying your fees with a credit, debit, or pre-paid card. Bank account withdrawals are also available when paying online. Once you are ready to submit your form, the system will send you to pay.gov to pay your fees online.
Pay by mail
If you mail your form to your local USCIS Lockbox, you can include your check, money order, or Form-G-1450 for a credit card payment. Make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Do not send cash.
Tips for making payments to USCIS:
– Make sure to pay the correct fee. USCIS will reject your application if you pay the wrong fee.
– You can use the USCIS Fee Calculator if you are also filing other forms. Use one payment method.
– Don’t give a credit card that could be declined. If it is declined, USCIS will reject your application.
Is the filing fee refundable?
The application and biometric service fees are not refundable. You will not get your money back if your citizenship application is denied.
What if I can’t afford to pay the fee?
You can apply for a fee waiver or a reduced fee waiver with USCIS if you cannot pay the fees. You must file your citizenship application by mail to ask for a waiver. You can not do it online.
You do not have to pay any of the application and biometric fees.
Total cost $0
Reduced fee waiver
You will pay a lower application fee of $320 and $85 for the biometrics fee.
Total cost: $405
You can get waivers based on your household size and household income.
- Household size includes you, head of household, spouse, children under 21, legal wards, children 21-23 in school, children over 21 with certain disabilities, your parents, and any other dependents you list on your federal tax return. Other relatives or roommates do not count towards household size.
- Household income is the total amount of money everyone in your household size earned in one year.
Who can apply for a fee waiver?
You must meet one of the following requirements to ask for a fee waiver:
- You, your spouse, or the head of household are receiving a public benefit. Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, and SSI are public benefits that can be considered for this.
- You are having a hard time making payments because of things like unexpected medical bills or emergencies.
- Your annual household income is at or below the 150% Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing.
Add $7,080 for each additional person
The New Americans Campaign’s calculator can help you learn if you can apply for a fee waiver or reduced fee.
How can I apply for a fee waiver?
You can ask for a fee waiver in one of two ways:
- You can fill out and submit Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver.
- You can write a letter explaining why you are unable to pay the fees. You must submit all documents requested in the form instructions. These include proof of your household income and public benefits.
Who can apply for a reduced fee waiver?
Your annual household income must be more than 150% but no more than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing.
More than income of
Less than income of
Add $7,080 for each additional person
Add $9440 for each additional person
How can I apply for a reduced fee waiver?
You can ask for a reduced fee by filing Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee.
Tips for requesting a waiver:
– Read the instructions for the form you are filing and include all requested documents.
– Include your request for a waiver with your citizenship application. Do not send your request by itself.
– Be sure to sign the form. USCIS may reject your request if you did not sign it.
Are there other ways to get help paying the fee?
- The New Americans Campaign lists non-profit organizations that can help you complete your application over the phone or in person. Ask your local non-profit whether they offer financial help too.
- The Mission Asset Fund offers a 0 interest loan to help you pay for your citizenship application fee.
- A number of credit unions offer 0 or low-interest citizenship loans. Contact your local credit union for financial help.
Дізнайтеся як отримати правову допомогу. Існують юристи та організації які пропонують допомогу безкоштовно або ж за невелику вартість. Імміграційний юрист зможе допомогти вам з вашою справою, притулком чи заявою на отримання громадянства. Вони можуть значно збільшити ваші шанси.
Next: Learn what to expect at the naturalization interview and test
The information on this page comes from trusted sources, including USCIS.gov. We aim to offer information in plain language that is easy to understand and updated regularly. This page is for guidance. USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.