Learn about the technology industry and different kinds of computer jobs. Read about the different career paths you can take in information technology. Find out what training you need and where to start your job search.
Technology is any tool people use to do their work. Today, the most important tool in almost every business is the computer. If you can use this important tool, you can find a job. There are many computer jobs for skilled workers. The jobs overlap with every other industry, from health to hospitality to manufacturing. All these industries need people with computer skills.
Which computer job?
Computer jobs are often called information technology (IT). An IT professional can follow many different paths:
- Coding and programming – programmers write the code that is behind every program. This is good place to start because training is easily available and there are lots of entry-level jobs.
- Web developer – these days, every business needs a website. This is a good job if you want to work for yourself.
- Project manager – project managers bring together and facilitate teams of diverse IT professionals. They help them to work together efficiently toward a project/goal. Learn how to become an IT project manager.
- Analytics and data – more and more businesses use data to make money. A data scientist analyzes data to produce useful information for businesses.
- Security – data and system security is important to most businesses. It is a fast-growing field.
- Administrator – IT specialists and network administrators are responsible for keeping a company’s system working. They make sure the network is connected and doing what employees need.
- Health information technician (HIT) – health information technicians keep digital medical records safe, accurate, and up to date. Learn how to become a health information technician.
- Software developer – makes applications and custom programs for a particular business or for everyone. Games and other applications for smartphones are growing fields. Find out how to become a mobile app developer.
Watch a computer program assistant talk about his job
Are computer jobs and information technology the right job for me?
Computer technology is a great field for finding jobs because computer skills are in high demand by employers. But not everyone wants to work on a computer. Take a self-assessment test at careeronestop.org
Where do I start?
For highly skilled IT jobs, most employers will look for experience and a degree. But there are many levels of training that take less time and are more accessible to newcomers.
- Code Academy
Learn coding on an easy, free platform.
Another free site that offers certification and teaches you programming by building projects for non-profits. You can join a group in your city to collaborate with people near you.
- Khan Academy
All kinds of free classes, including many computer programming classes.
- How to get hired in web development
A short course from the Odin Project.
USAHello classes are free and are made for refugees and immigrants. Prepare for your GED® test or to become a US citizen.
Find a class near you
Many community colleges offer low-cost computer training classes. They may have classes especially for newcomers and English learners. Find a community college near you.
- Code.org has a database of local coding classes. The site also features coding games, learning exercises and educational resources for all ages.
- Find courses in your area and online at Launchcode.
What if I am already qualified in another country?
If you have technology qualification or a degree in computer science, Upwardly Global helps work-authorized immigrants, refugees, asylees, and visa holders restart their professional careers in the United States.What else do I need?
- Do you need to learn English?
- Do you want to become a citizen?
- Do you want to earn your GED® diploma?
Start your job search
Here are some ways to start your job search:
- Use your local employment center
Government employment centers in every city are free. They offer advice and keep a list of local jobs. They help with resumes and job applications. They can connect you to job training and education. Find your nearest employment center.
- Get freelance jobs
Put yourself on Upwork, a website for freelancers working online.
- Check company websites
Look at websites of companies you would like to work for.
- Use job websites
Dice specializes in tech and computer jobs, including information technology, software, high technology, security and biotechnology.