Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Ethiopia

دا پاڼه په دې هم ژباړل شوې ده:

You can apply for TPS Ethiopia now through June 12, 2024. If you are granted temporary protected status, it will be valid through June 12, 2024. Learn if you are eligible and how to apply. Get work permit information.

Updated جنوري 20, 2023

What is TPS   

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people already in the United States. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger, such as an armed conflict or environmental disaster.

If you have TPS, you can:

  • Stay in the U.S. legally for a period of time
  • Apply for a work permit in the U.S.
  • Apply to travel outside the U.S.
  • Be protected from detention and deportation 

You will not get any of the benefits of TPS until your application is approved. TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status. 

Go to the USCIS TPS Ethiopia page for more details.

Who can apply

You must meet the following requirements to apply:

  • Be a national of Ethiopia or a person without nationality who lived in Ethiopia for a long time before arriving in the U.S.
  • Have lived only in the U.S. since October 20, 2022
  • Have not left the U.S. since December 12, 2022

You may not be eligible if you have committed certain crimes.

Public charge does not apply to TPS applicants. You can use any government programs you qualify for.

How to apply

You can apply for TPS Ethiopia by filing Form I-821. You can file your application online or by mail with USCIS.

You must send documents showing proof of your identity, nationality, and date of entry.

You must pay a fee if you are applying for TPS for the first time. You might be able to apply for a fee waiver if you can’t afford to pay the fee. Learn how to use the USCIS fee calculator.

You need to apply by June 12, 2024.

What happens next

USCIS will review your application and send you a receipt notice. You can check the status of your application online by typing in your receipt number. If you do not get a receipt within 3 weeks of filing, you can call the USCIS Contact Center.

You may get a letter asking for more evidence. This could be your photo, fingerprints, signature, and other documents. 

You will get a letter approving or denying your application. If you applied for a work permit, you will also get information about your application.

If you do not get TPS, you will get information on whether and how you can appeal their decision. 

Work permit

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA.

You can apply for work authorization by filing Form I-765. It is recommended you apply for a work permit at the same time you apply for TPS. Filing both forms together may help you get EAD faster. You can also apply later.

Travel permit

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131. Follow the Federal Register notice instructions when applying for a travel permit.

What happens when TPS expires?

DHS will review country conditions at least 60 days prior to when it is set to expire. They will decide whether to continue it further. If TPS Ethiopia expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation. 

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (green card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

It is important to seek legal advice from an immigration lawyer or accredited representative. They can help you apply and discuss questions or concerns. Many organizations and lawyers offer free or low-cost legal services.  

The Embassy of Ethiopia can offer more information. You can contact the Ethiopian Embassy at (202) 364-1200 or visit its consular offices in Washington D.C., Los Angeles, CA, and St. Paul, Minnesota.

USCIS offers other immigration services that may help people affected by extreme situations. Call 800-375-5283 to learn how to request help. 

avoid immigration scam
د هر ډول مهاجرت درغلۍ څخه ډډه وکړئ

پوه شئ چې څنګه د نوټریو او جعلي ویب پاڼو څخه ځان وساتئ. زده کړئ چې څه وکړئ که تاسو د درغلۍ قرباني شوي یاست.

نور زده کړئ

ددې پاڼي معلومات له DHS, USCIS, نورو باوري سرچینو څخه په لاس راځي. زموږ موخه داده چې د پوهاوي لپاره اسانه معلومات وړاندې کړو چې په منظم ډول تازه کیږي. دا معلومات قانوني مشوره نه ده.