When you come to live in the United States, you will not know all the laws and regulations. There are many thousands of laws! Every state has its own laws, twò. Here are some US laws that are useful to know so you do not break the law by mistake.
- Your children must go to school from the age of 6 pou 16.
- You must not hit, neglect or abuse your children.
- Your children must use safety seats in the car.
- Some states have laws to say you cannot leave your children alone until they reach a certain age.
- Ou kapab li osijè de child abuse laws in the USA.
- You must get car insurance and registration for your car and carry it in the car.
- Everyone must have a driver’s license to drive.
- Drivers can turn right when the stoplight is red if it is safe to do so and if nobody is crossing the street, unless there is a sign or red light telling you not to turn.
- You must wear a seatbelt in a moving car (unless you are an adult in the state of New Hampshire).
- Do not pass a school bus in either direction when its red lights are flashing! Just stop until the bus turns off its flashing lights.
- Pull over to let emergency vehicles go by if they have flashing lights or sirens.
- You can read about how to drive in the USA.
- You may refuse service to someone who is offensive, but you may not refuse service to people because of their race, kouche, religion or where they come from.
- You can learn more about anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBT people, trans people, ak working women.
- If you earn income and live in the United States, you must file a tax return every year and pay taxes to the United States government. In some places, you will pay state and local government taxes too.
- Ou ka aprann how to pay taxes in the USA.
- It is illegal to bribe or offer bribes to police and other officials in the United States.
- It is illegal to accept bribes.
Maryaj, sex and incest
- It is against the law to have sex with a member of your family who is not your spouse.
- You are not allowed to be married to more than one person at the same time.
- You are not allowed to hit or beat your wife or other family members.
- It is against the law to force a person to have sex with you even if you are married to them.
- Nobody, even your parents, can force you to marry someone if you do not want to get married.
- You can get a divorce from your spouse even if your spouse does not agree.
- It is a crime to marry someone just to get US citizenship. You can be jailed or fined a lot of money.
- It is not against the law to be a homosexual or lesbian, and it is legal to marry someone of the same sex.
Behavior in public
- You may be fined for crossing the road except at a crosswalk!
- You are not allowed to drop litter in a public place.
- Drinking and (in some places) smoking are against the law in the street.
- Indecent behavior (including nakedness, urinating, prostitution or hiring a prostitute) is illegal.
Drugs and alcohol
- The legal drinking age in the United States is 21.
- You must not give alcohol to anyone under the age of 21 or let them drink alcohol in your care. (There are exceptions in some states for parents, who may allow their children to drink in their care.)
- It is illegal to take drugs or to sell or provide illegal drugs (which are called “controlled substances” in the law).
- The use and sale of marijuana is allowed in some states under some conditions.
Animals and hunting
- Hunters must have a hunting license to kill wild animals.
- You can only kill wild animals in certain seasons and with certain weapons.
- It is illegal to kill cats and dogs for food.
- In most states, animal cruelty or neglect is against the law. This means overworking, neglecting, starving, torturing or beating animals. ou kapab read more about wild animals, hunting and fishing e apwopo de animal and pet rules in the USA.
Fighting and violence
- Violence to another person is against the law.
- Some fighting is called “disorderly conduct” ni ni “mutual combat.” Other fighting or attacking someone is called “assault.” Even threatening someone can be an assault, which is a serious crime.
- It is a crime to cheat people, to steal from people or stores
- It is a crime to sell illegal drugs or guns.
- Americans are very protective of their homes and property. You cannot be on or in someone’s property without their permission.
- If you are a male between the ages of 18 ak 26 and living in the United States, you must register for selective service in the armed forces.
- If you are a resident or permanent resident but not a citizen, you must carry proof of your resident status with you (your papers or your Green Card).
- You must also notify US Customs and Immigrations Services when you change your address.
There are many laws in America, but you also have many rights! Use our resources to find information about your rights as a resident or citizen.
- Konnen dwa ou kom refijye
- Lè mwen ta dwe pran legal èd?
- Refugee travel document & dwa
- Konnen dwa w antanke imigran
- Fanmi reyini-pote fanmi ou la nan Etazini
- Ou TPS expiration?
- Kijan pou aplike pou azil politik
- Dwa travayè
- Fanm nan travay
- Pramila Jayapal batay yo pou imigran ki nan Kongrè
Lòt resous yo
- Read about equal opportunity laws
- Notify a change of address as a resident or permanent resident
- Know your rights if you are stopped by police or immigration agents
- See the US code
- Find state laws and regulations
- Learn about some of the best-known U.S. laws and regulations
Enfòmasyon nan paj sa yo soti a Gouvènman AMERIKEN an and other trusted sources. Li fèt pou gid ak à kòm souvan ke posib. USAHello pa bay konsèy legal, ni pa gen yonn ladan nou materyèl fèt pou menm konsèy legal. Si n' ap chache yon avoka gratis oswa a pri ki ba oswa yon èd legal, nou kapab fè pou ou jwenn gratis ak sèvis legal.
Jwenn èd tou pre w
Sèvi ak FindHello pou fè rechèch pou sèvis ak resous nan vil ou.Kòmanse chache ou