Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Nepal

This page is also translated in:

You can now re-register for TPS Nepal through June 24, 2025. If you re-register, your temporary protected status will extend to June 24, 2025. Learn about the process and get work permit information.

Updated June 27, 2024

What is TPS   

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people already in the United States. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger, such as an armed conflict or environmental disaster.

If you have TPS, you can:

  • Stay in the U.S. legally for a period of time
  • Apply for a work permit in the U.S.
  • Apply to travel outside of the U.S.
  • Be protected from detention and deportation 

TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status.

Go to the USCIS TPS Nepal page for more details.

Who could have applied for TPS Nepal?

You must have met the following requirements to get TPS Nepal: 

  • Be a national of Nepal or a person without nationality who lived in Nepal for a long time before arriving in the USA
  • Lived only in the U.S. since June 24, 2015
  • Did not leave the U.S. since June 24, 2015

You may not have been eligible if you committed certain crimes.

Public charge does not apply to TPS applicants. You can use any government programs you qualify for.

Re-registration for current TPS holders

If you already have TPS for Nepal under a previous designation, you can re-register to extend it further to June 24, 2025.

If you had TPS under the 2015 designation, your TPS will no longer be automatically extended for the Ramos court case. You must re-register to keep your TPS benefits. 

To re-register, you must file a new Form I-821 by June 24, 2025. You can file your application with USCIS online or by mail. You do not have to pay a fee. 

It is important to re-register as soon as possible. The deadline is also the last day TPS for Nepal is currently available. 

Work permit

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA.

You can apply for work authorization by filing Form I-765.

Travel permit

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131. Follow the Federal Register notice instructions when applying for a travel permit.

What happens when TPS expires?

DHS will review country conditions at least 60 days before it is set to expire. They will decide whether to continue it further. If TPS for Nepal expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. 

If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation. 

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (Green Card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

It is important to seek legal advice from an immigration lawyer or accredited representative. They can help you apply and discuss questions or concerns. Many organizations and lawyers offer free or low-cost legal services.  

The Embassy of Nepal can offer more information. You can contact the Embassy of Nepal at (202) 667 4550 or visit its consular offices in Washington D.C.; Baltimore, MD; San Diego, CA; Chicago, IL; Naalehu, HI; and Seattle, WA. 

lawyer reviewing information
Avoid immigration scams

Know how to protect yourself from notarios and fake websites. Learn what to do if you have been a victim of fraud.

Learn more

The information on this page comes from DHS, USCIS, and other trusted sources. We aim to offer easy to understand information that is updated regularly. This information is not legal advice.