Updates & resources for TPS (Temporary Protected Status) and DED (Deferred Enforced Departure)

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) are two different programs that help people from certain countries who have suffered natural disasters or are facing uncertainty. Read the latest updates for all TPS and DED programs. Find information about your country’s TPS or DED: Burma (Myanmar), El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Liberia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela, Yemen. Learn about your options after TPS expires and how to find resources.

couple with adviser
Photo: iStock/Johnny Greig

NOTICE: The increase of fees that was due to take place on October 2, 2020, has been stopped by a US court decision. But please check fees before sending in your application. Use the USCIS fee calculator to get the correct fee.

What is Temporary Protected Status (TPS)?

TPS offers protection to people in the USA who cannot safely go back to their homeland. This may be because of conflict or because of natural disasters. TPS applies to some people from twelve countries.

On June 7, 2021, the Supreme Court ruled that TPS holders cannot apply (under most circumstances) for a green card if they entered the U.S. without inspection at the border. This ruling does not impact your TPS status. It is still valid until the expiration date. 

If you are a TPS holder and entered the U.S. with a visa and then overstayed your visa, you can still apply for a green card.

What are the benefits of TPS?

TPS allows you to:

  1. Stay in the United States legally.
  2. Get a work permit to be able to work in the USA.
  3. Apply for travel authorization outside the USA.
  4. Be protected from deportation.

TPS does not give you citizenship or a green card. TPS holders can stay in the USA for at least six months at a time. Some TPS holders have been allowed to stay for more than ten years. This is because their TPS designation is extended by the U.S. government.

What is Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)?

DED is like TPS. DED is granted through the President’s power in foreign relations. Under DED, individuals are protected from deportation and can request work authorization.

Liberian nationals and people from Hong Kong are currently protected under DED.

TPS and DED by country

Burma (Myanmar)

Burma citizens in the USA are now eligible to register for TPS.  It will be effective for 18 months, from May 25, 2021, to November 25, 2022.

El Salvador

TPS for El Salvador has been extended and now expires on December 31, 2022.


A new designation for Haiti has been announced. It applies to Haitians who have been in the U.S. since July 29, 2021.


TPS for Honduras has been extended and now expires on December 31, 2022.

Hong Kong

On August 5, 2021, the Biden Administration announced an 18-month DED for certain Hong Kong residents. Hong Kong residents who are present in the USA as of August 5, 2021, cannot be removed for the next 18 months.


DED for people from Liberia ends on June 30, 2022. DED holders now have a path to permanent residence in the USA. They must apply before Dec. 20, 2021.


TPS for Nepal has been extended and now expires on December 31, 2022.


TPS for Nicaragua has been extended and now expires on December 31, 2022.


USCIS has extended and re-designated TPS for Somalia. The 60-day re-registration period for Somali TPS holders is from July 22, 2020, to September 20, 2021. If you are applying for the first time, you must have been present in the USA as of July 19, 2021.

South Sudan

TPS for South Sudan expires on May 2, 2022.


TPS for Sudan has been extended and now expires on December 31, 2022.


TPS for Syria expires on September 30, 2022.


On March 8, the Biden administration designated Temporary Protected Status for people from Venezuela. The TPS is for 18 months, until September 2022.


TPS for Yemen that initially was to expire on September 3, 2021, has been extended for 18 months; now, it will expire on March 3, 2023.

FindHello CTA map

FindHello has help and services for immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, and undocumented people in the USA. Search for job advice, lawyers, healthcare, English classes and other services near you.

Start your search

What should I do when my DED or TPS is expiring?

Make sure to read the page about your country’s TPS or DED. Follow these easy steps:

Find immigration resources in your community


Please use our FindHello database to look for organizations in your community that help with immigration matters and legal advice.  You can access this information by downloading our FindHello App.

Informed Immigrant

The Informed Immigrant database also lists hundreds of organizations, state by state, that help immigrants.

Immigration Law Help

Immigration Law Help is a project of the Immigration Advocates Network and probono.net. This database includes immigration legal services across the country.

The information on this page comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Register, USCIS and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance and is updated as often as possible. USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice. If you are looking for a free or low-cost lawyer or legal help, we can help you find free and low-cost legal services.