TPS Nicaragua:
Temporary Protected Status

You cannot apply for TPS Nicaragua at this time. 

If you already have TPS Nicaragua, your temporary protected status continues and your documents are valid through June 30, 2024.

Nicaraguans outside the US may now be eligible for a humanitarian parole program to travel, live and work temporarily in the USA.

What is TPS   

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people already in the USA. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger. These may include armed conflict, environmental disasters, or other temporary dangers. This status is only available to people from certain countries

If you have TPS, you can:

  • Stay in the USA legally for a period of time
  • Apply for a work permit in the USA
  • Apply to travel outside of the USA
  • Be protected from detention and deportation 

You will not get any of the benefits of TPS until your application is approved. TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status. 

Who could have applied for TPS Nicaragua?

You must have met the following requirements to get TPS Nicaragua: 

  • Be a national of Nicaragua
    • or a person without nationality who lived in Nicaragua for a long time before arriving in the USA
  • Have lived only in the USA since January 5, 1999
  • Have not left the USA since January 5, 1999

You may not have been eligible if you committed certain crimes. 

Current TPS holders

If you already have TPS Nicaragua, your TPS is automatically extended through June 30, 2024. You must have re-registered during the 2016-2018 period to currently have TPS for Nicaragua. 

DHS announced this extension as part of a court order. Future court decisions could change the availability of TPS Nicaragua.

Work permit

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA. You can apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization with USCIS.

Travel permit

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Follow the instructions on the Federal Register notice when applying for a travel permit.

What happens when TPS Nicaragua expires?

DHS will continue to extend TPS Nicaragua until there is a final court ruling. If the final court ruling ends TPS Nicaragua, TPS holders will have 365 days before DHS could start deportations.

If TPS Nicaragua expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. 

If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation. 

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (green card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

It is important to seek legal advice from an immigration lawyer or accredited representative. They can help you apply and discuss questions or concerns. Many organizations and lawyers offer free or low-cost legal services.  

The Embassy of Nicaragua can offer more information. You can contact the Embassy of Nicaragua at (202) 939-6570 or visit its consular offices in Washington D.C.; Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA; Miami, FL; New York, NY; Houston, TX.

lawyer reviewing information
Избегайте иммиграционного мошенничества

Узнайте, как защитить себя от нотариусов и поддельных веб-сайтов. Узнайте, что делать, если вы стали жертвой мошенничества.

Узнать больше

Information on this page comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Register, USCIS, and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance and is updated as often as possible.

USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.