TPS El Salvador

Find information about Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for people from El Salvador. Understand what TPS is. Learn about the current status of TPS El Salvador, how to get a work permit, travel, apply for other protection, and find legal help.

El Salvador flag

TPS El Salvador is currently extended through December 31, 2022. This could change based on a court order.

What is TPS?   

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people in the USA. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger. These may include armed conflict, environmental disasters, or other temporary dangers. This status is only available for people from certain countries

Benefits of TPS  

  • You can stay in the USA legally for a set period of time
  • You can apply for a work permit in the USA
  • You can apply for a document to travel outside the USA
  • You will be protected from detention and deportation 

You cannot get any of the benefits of TPS until your application is approved. TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status. 

Can I apply for TPS Salvador? 

USCIS is not accepting new first-time applications for TPS El Salvador at this time. 

Who could get TPS El Salvador?

You must have met the following requirements: 

  • Be a national of El Salvador, or a person without nationality who lived in El Salvador for a long time before arriving in the USA
  • Have lived only in the USA since February 13, 2001
  • Have not left the USA since March 9, 2001

You may not be eligible if you have committed certain crimes.

Is TPS El Salvador extended?

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) extended TPS El Salvador through December 31, 2022. DHS is required to continue TPS El Salvador until there is a final court ruling. DHS may or may not continue TPS El Salvador again depending on the court case.

Do I have to re-register if I already have TPS El Salvador?

If you currently have TPS El Salvador, then you do not have to re-register.

You must have re-registered during the following periods to keep your TPS benefits:

  • Jan. 18, 2018, through March 19, 2018
  • July 8, 2016, through Sept. 6, 2016

Can I re-register for TPS El Salvador late?

If you missed the deadline to re-register, you may be able to re-register late.

  • You will have to submit a letter. The letter needs to give a reason why you filed late, such as serious illness. 
  • You can re-register online or by mail with USCIS under the Where To File section.

Can I apply for a work permit?

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA. You can apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization with USCIS. 

Do I have to renew my work permit?

DHS automatically extended the EADs of current TPS holders. If you applied for TPS and an EAD during the last registration period, then your work permit is valid through December 31, 2022.

Can I apply for a travel permit?

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Follow the instructions on the Federal Register notice when applying for a travel permit.

You can apply for a work and travel permit at the same time or separately.

What happens when TPS El Salvador expires?

DHS will continue to extend TPS El Salvador every 9 months until there is a final court ruling. If the final court ruling ends TPS El Salvador, TPS holders will have 365 days before DHS could start deportations.

If TPS El Salvador expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. 

If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation. 

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (green card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

An immigration legal representative can help you complete your application and review all of your immigration options. Search for legal help in your area using our FindHello app. Learn more about finding free and low-cost legal help

The Embassy of El Salvador can offer more information. You can contact the Embassy of El Salvador at (202) 595-7500 or visit its consular office in Washington D.C.

lawyer reviewing information
Avoid immigration scams

Learn about the most common immigration scams like notarios and fake websites. Know how to protect yourself and what to do if you have been a victim of fraud.

Learn more

Information on this page comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Register, USCIS, and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance and is updated as often as possible.

USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.