TPS Nepal:
Temporary Protected Status

Esta página también está traducida en:

You cannot apply for TPS Nepal at this time. 

If you already have TPS Nepal, your temporary protected status continues and your documents are now valid through June 30, 2024.

What is TPS   

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people already in the United States. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger, such as an armed conflict or environmental disaster.

If you have TPS, you can:

  • Stay in the USA legally for a period of time
  • Apply for a work permit in the USA
  • Apply to travel outside of the USA
  • Be protected from detention and deportation 

You will not get any of the benefits of TPS until your application is approved. TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status.

Public charge does not apply to TPS applicants. You can use any government programs you qualify for.

Who could have applied for TPS Nepal?

You must have met the following requirements to get TPS Nepal: 

  • Be a national of Nepal
    • or a person without nationality who lived in Nepal for a long time before arriving in the USA
  • Have lived only in the USA since June 24, 2015
  • Have not left the USA since June 24, 2015

You may not have been eligible if you committed certain crimes.

Current TPS holders

If you already have TPS Nepal, your TPS is automatically extended through June 30, 2024. You must have re-registered during the 2016-2018 period to currently have TPS for Nepal. 

DHS announced this extension as part of a court order. Future court decisions could change the availability of TPS Nepal.

Work permit

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA. You can apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization with USCIS.

Travel permit

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Follow the instructions on the Federal Register notice when applying for a travel permit.

What happens when TPS Nepal expires?

DHS will continue to extend TPS Nepal until there is a final court ruling. If the final court ruling ends TPS Nepal, TPS holders will have 365 days before DHS could start deportations.

If TPS Nepal expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. 

If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation. 

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (green card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

It is important to seek legal advice from an immigration lawyer or accredited representative. They can help you apply and discuss questions or concerns. Many organizations and lawyers offer free or low-cost legal services.  

The Embassy of Nepal can offer more information. You can contact the Embassy of Nepal at (202) 667 4550 or visit its consular offices in Washington D.C.; Baltimore, MD; San Diego, CA; Chicago, IL; Naalehu, HI; and Seattle, WA. 

avoid immigration scam
Evita estafas de inmigración

Conoce cómo protegerte de notarios falsos y sitios web ficticios. Aprende qué hacer si has sido víctima de fraude.

Conoce más

Information on this page comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Register, USCIS, and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance and is updated as often as possible.

USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.