In die VSA, there are laws about transgender discrimination in housing and at work. Trans people cannot be fired, refused employment, or turned away from housing because they are trans. Learn about transgender safety and rights at work and in housing. Find out where to get legal advice and help.
Specific transgender rights are different in each state. But there are some laws about transgender discrimination that are the same all over the USA.
Transgender discrimination at work
You cannot be harassed at work by your staff or other workers. Byvoorbeeld:
- People cannot make jokes or mean comments about trans people.
- People cannot use the wrong name or pronouns on purpose.
- People cannot ask rude questions about your body or gender.
You cannot be questioned or fired at work. Byvoorbeeld:
- Your boss cannot question your gender.
- Your boss cannot fire you because of you are transgender.
- Your boss cannot refuse to promote you because you are transgender.
You cannot be turned away from the bathroom. Byvoorbeeld:
- Your workplace has to let you use the bathroom you choose.
- Your workplace may not ask for documents proving your gender to let you use the bathroom.
Transgender discrimination in housing
tans, 20 State en die distrik van Columbia wette wat ophou transgender diskriminasie ondersteun. As jy huur of koop eiendom in daardie state:
- Mense kan vra oor jou geslag of seksuele oriëntasie.
- People cannot turn you away because you are transgender.
- People cannot force you to leave because you are transgender. As jy 'n huurkontrak of kontrak, it is legal for you to sta.
If you need to stay at a homeless shelter:
- People might ask your gender because men and women can be in separate rooms. You have the right to tell them whichever gender you identify as.
- People cannot ask for medical proof of your gender.
Trans people have been forced out of their homes and turned away from homeless shelters. One of every five transgender people is homeless sometime in their life. Jou naaste Snerpende gemeenskap Sentrum may help you find a shelter that is not listed online. The Ali Forney Center has transitional and emergency housing for LGBT youth in several states.
Many legal organizations take on cases for people who have experienced transgender discrimination. There are some legal organizations specifically to support the LGBT community.
- Lambda regs is die grootste Nasionale Snerpende regshulp organisasie. Die Lambda Legal helpdesk kan Kontroleer jou geval en koppel jy aan plaaslike verteenwoordigers.
- The ACLU is a legal organization that represents clients for free. It has programs for LGBT rights and represents LGBT people who have been harassed. Jy kan find a local ACLU affiliate in every state.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality works to protect all trans rights. It supports more than 80 organizations that represent trans clients. Jy kan find trans legal services in your state.
- Transgender rights and identification
- Transgender terme
- Transgender reassignment en oorgang
- LGBT: lesbiese, gay, biseksuele en transgender gemeenskappe
- Ken jou regte as 'n immigrant
Vind hulp naby jou
Gebruik FindHello om te soek vir dienste en hulpbronne in jou Stad.Begin jou soektog