DED Hong Kong is effective through February 5, 2023.
What is DED?
Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) is a form of legal protection for people in the USA. DED is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of dangerous situations, including political conflict.
DED is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status. This status is only available for people from certain countries.
Who is eligible for DED Hong Kong?
You must meet the following requirements to benefit from DED Hong Kong:
- Be a resident of Hong Kong before arriving in the USA
- Have a HKSAR passport, British BN(O) passport, British BOC passport, HKIC, or HKSAR Doc/I
- Have lived only in the USA since August 5, 2021
- Have not left the USA since August 5, 2021
Who is not eligible for DED Hong Kong?
You may not be eligible for DED Hong Kong if:
- You have left the USA after August 5, 2021
- You have willingly left for Hong Kong or China after August 5, 2021
- You have committed certain crimes
- You are considered inadmissible under immigration law
Benefits of DED Hong Kong
- You can stay in the USA legally for a set period of time
- You can apply for a work permit in the USA
- You can apply for a document to travel outside the USA
- You will be protected from detention and deportation
Do I need to apply for DED Hong Kong?
No. USCIS does not require an application for DED Hong Kong. DED automatically applies to certain residents from Hong Kong.
How can I apply for a work permit?
Work permits are available to people with DED and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA. You can apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization.
How can I apply for a travel permit?
Travel permits are available to people with DED. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.
You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Follow the instructions on the Federal Register notice when applying for a travel permit.
You can apply for a work and travel permit at the same time or separately.
What happens when DED Hong Kong expires?
If DED is not renewed, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting DED.
If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for DED, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation.
Can I change my immigration status?
You can have DED at the same time as another immigration status.
An immigration legal representative can help you review all of your immigration options and complete your applications. Search for legal help in your area using our FindHello app. Learn more about finding free and low-cost legal help.
Infórmate sobre las estafas más comunes como los notarios falsos y los sitios web ficticios. Aprende cómo te puedes proteger y qué hacer si has sido víctima de fraude.
USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.