TPS Haiti

This page is also translated in:

Find information about Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for people from Haiti. Understand what TPS is. Learn how to apply for TPS, renew your status, get a work permit, travelapply for other protection, and find legal help

Haiti flag

You can now apply and re-apply for TPS Haiti. The last day to apply or re-apply is February 3, 2023. Currently, this is also the last day you can have temporary protected status for Haiti.

What is TPS?

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a form of immigration status for people in the USA. TPS is for people who cannot go back to their home country because of danger. These may include armed conflict, environmental disasters, or other temporary dangers. This status is only available for people from certain countries

Benefits of TPS

  • You can stay in the USA legally for a set period of time
  • You can apply for a work permit in the USA
  • You can apply for a document to travel outside the USA
  • You will be protected from detention and deportation 

You cannot get any of the benefits of TPS until your application is approved. TPS is temporary. It does not give you lawful permanent status, citizenship, or any permanent immigration status. 

Who can apply for TPS Haiti? 

You must meet the following requirements to apply or re-apply:

  • Be a national of Haiti, or a person without nationality who lived in Haiti for a long time before arriving in the USA
  • Have lived only in the USA since July 29, 2021
  • Have not left the USA since August 3, 2021

You may not be eligible if you have committed certain crimes.

How can I apply for TPS Haiti?

You can apply for TPS Haiti by filing Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. You can file your application online with USCIS.

You must send documents showing proof of your identity, nationality, and date of entry. 

You must pay a fee if you are applying for TPS for the first time. You might be able to apply for a fee waiver if you can’t afford to pay the fee. Learn how to use the USCIS fee calculator.

When do I need to apply for TPS Haiti?

The last day to apply is February 3, 2023. 

Can I apply for TPS Haiti late? 

In some cases, you might be able to apply late. It is still best to file as soon as you can.

If you miss the deadline for filing your TPS application, you must meet certain requirements listed in USCIS’s Filing Late section.

Do I need to re-apply for TPS Haiti?

If you currently have TPS from the 2011 designation, you will need to re-apply to extend your TPS benefits to February 3, 2023. 

You will need to file a new application for TPS. You must select “This is my initial (first time) application for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). I do not currently have TPS.” for question 1.a. You can re-register online or by mail with USCIS under the Where To File section.

What happens after I file my application? 

USCIS will review your application and send you a receipt notice. You can check the status of your application online by typing in your receipt number.

You may get a letter asking for more evidence. This could be your photo, fingerprints, signature, and other documents. 

You will get a letter in the mail approving or denying your application. If you applied for a work permit, you will also get information about your application.

If you do not get TPS, you will get information on whether and how you can appeal their decision. 

Can I apply for a work permit?

Work permits are available to people with TPS and are known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It shows employers that you are allowed to work in the USA. 

You can apply for a work permit at the same time you apply for TPS. You can file Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization. You can also apply for EAD after you filed your TPS application. Filing both forms together may help you get EAD faster.

Do I have to renew my work permit?

DHS automatically extended the EADs of current TPS holders. If you applied for TPS and an EAD during the last registration period, then your work permit is valid through December 31, 2022. You can apply for EAD again when you renew your TPS. 

Can I apply for a travel permit?

Travel permits are available to people with TPS. It is known as advanced parole. It shows immigration officials that you are allowed to travel abroad and back to the USA.

You can apply for a travel permit by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Follow the instructions on the Federal Register notice when applying for a travel permit.

You can apply for a work and travel permit at the same time or separately. 

What happens when TPS Haiti expires?

DHS will continue to extend TPS Haiti until there is a final court ruling. If the final court ruling ends TPS Haiti, TPS holders will have 365 days before DHS could start deportations.

If TPS Haiti expires, you will have the same immigration status you had before getting temporary protected status.

If you did not have a legal immigration status before you applied for TPS, you may become undocumented. You can apply for another form of immigration status if you are eligible. 

If you stay without any legal status, you will risk the chance of arrest or deportation.

Can I change my immigration status?

You can have TPS at the same time as another immigration status. 

You can apply for asylum, lawful permanent status (green card), or other protected status if you meet the requirements for those applications.

An immigration legal representative can help you complete your application and review all of your immigration options. Search for legal help in your area using our FindHello app. Learn more about finding free and low-cost legal help

The Embassy of Haiti can offer more information. You can contact the Embassy of Haiti at (202) 332-4090 or visit its consular offices in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Miami, New York City, Orlando, or Washington, D.C.

lawyer reviewing information
Avoid immigration scams

Learn about the most common immigration scams like notarios and fake websites. Know how to protect yourself and what to do if you have been a victim of fraud.

Learn more

Information on this page comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Register, USCIS, and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance and is updated as often as possible.

USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.