Family reunification parole processes
and programs

The family reunification parole program allows family members with approved visa applications to come to the U.S. with parole status. The U.S. invites certain U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to apply for their family members. 

This is only for those who already have an approved Form I-130 and are still waiting for their immigrant visa

If you have not submitted Form I-130 yet, learn how

Other ways to reunite with family members:
  • Family reunification for refugees, asylees, and Afghan parolees 
  • Sponsoring family from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela 
  • Sponsoring family from Ukraine
  • Parole

    Under this program, family members are paroled into the United States on a case-by-case basis. Parole allows your family to be in the U.S. legally and apply to work in the United States. It is not a permanent legal status. The initial period of parole is for 3 years.

    Parolees are expected to apply for a green card once their immigrant visa becomes available. Your family member should get their visa within about 2 years after they are paroled. 

    If your family member is paroled instead of waiting for a visa, it will cost them more. They will have to pay for work authorization and a green card. This is something to consider when deciding if you should apply for parole or continue waiting for a visa. 


    There are currently two family reunification parole programs:

    You must be invited to apply. The U.S. government selects certain people and mails them an invitation to apply for one of these programs. It is for people whose visa is expected to be available within 18-30 months. 

    To be eligible to apply for parole for a family member you must:

    • Be a U.S. citizen or LPR
    • Have an approved Form I-130 
    • Have family members in either Cuba or Haiti

    The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently announced these programs will be expanded. They will also include certain nationals from Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. More information coming in June 2023.

    How to apply

    You can not apply unless the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC) invites you to do so. 

    If you believe you may be eligible, make sure the NVC has your current mailing address. If you have questions, you can contact the NVC by submitting a Public Inquiry Form online.

    For those that receive an invitation you will need to follow the instructions in the NVC letter:

    Complete a separate Form I-131 for each family member and include:

    • “HFRP” written at the top of the form
    • 2 passport-style photos of your family member
    • Photocopy of your Form I-797, your Form I-130 approval notice, or a printout from Case Status Online showing approval
    • Required fee or a fee waiver request
    • Separate Form I-134 with supporting documents for each family member
    • Copy of the NVC invitation letter

    Mail everything together to the address provided before the deadline. It is important to submit all applications together to help USCIS determine eligibility. If not, your application may be denied. 

    USCIS will review your application. They may request additional information.

    If there are no issues with the application, your family member will be invited to an interview and asked to complete a medical examination. They will also have to provide biometrics such as fingerprints and photos.

    If your Form I-131 is denied, the decision is final. Your family member may still be eligible for an immigrant visa based on approval of their Form I-130. 


    The interview will be in Havana, Cuba or Port-au-Prince, Haiti, depending on which program you applied to. USCIS staff will ask your family members questions to determine whether to grant parole.

    Your family members should bring all required documents to the interview, including: 

    • Government-issued form of identification
    • Unexpired passport
    • Documents supporting their eligibility for the program (if not in English they must be certified translated into English) 
    • Medical examination results 
    • Copy of interview notice

    Traveling to the USA 

    If USCIS grants parole, your family member will be issued the necessary travel documents. It may take about 6 months to get your travel documents after you submit your application. 

    It is important that your family member does not make any big changes until they have received their travel documents. This includes things like selling their home or quitting their job.

    The travel documents will allow your family members to travel to the USA. You or your family member must pay for their own travel. Once they arrive, a CBP officer at a port of entry will review the documents. If everything is in order, they will issue a Form I-94 to document their parole. 

    Once in the USA, your family member can apply to work

    Get a green card 

    Once your family member’s immigrant visa becomes available, it is expected that they apply for a green card. A green card will allow them to live in the United States permanently. They can also apply for citizenship after 5 years of having their green card. If they do not get a green card, they will need to request re-parole. 

    Legal help

    It is important to get legal advice if you can. A lawyer or an accredited representative can help you understand your options for family reunification and properly submit your application. Many organizations and lawyers offer free or low-cost legal services.

    lawyer reviewing information
    Avoid immigration scams

    Know how to protect yourself from notarios and fake websites. Learn what to do if you have been a victim of fraud.

    Learn more

    Understanding words

    Lawful permanent resident (LPR)Someone with a valid green card
    Petitionan application or formal request made to an authority
    PetitionerA person who files an application applying for their family member to come to the USA
    BeneficiaryThe family member who a petitioner is applying to come to the USA

    Information on this page comes from USCIS, DHS, and other trusted sources. It is intended for guidance. USAHello does not give legal advice, nor are any of our materials intended to be taken as legal advice.